I don't want my kids to spend too much time on their tablets, especially during the Christmas season when they should be spending time making memories together with us and with other family members and friends. But, I don't want to take away all of their tablet fun either, sooo, how about an app that teaches them about the real meaning of Christmas, while entertaining them, too? Yes, please!
The Nativity Story is a digital story book that beautifully tells the story of the first Christmas. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous! The book is laid out as a "pop up" and each page has people, animals, or objects that, when tapped, move, talk, dance, etc. Your child can choose to have the story read to him, or to read it himself. The narrator has a very pleasant voice and the background music is, blessedly, not annoying.
I enjoyed trying out the app, but the true test came when I handed the iPad to my 5-year-old son, whose attention span can be super short. He loved it! For quite a long time he played with the app, sitting quietly on the couch.
Another feature that I loved is that the app includes a tab where you or your child can read the Nativity Story right from the Bible. Once again, beautifully done.
If you have young children, I highly recommend this wonderful app!
You can read more about it here:
About The Nativity Story
Where will baby Jesus be born? At the market? At a restaurant? At the inn? Readers of this book app can follow Joseph and Mary on their search for a place to stay in Bethlehem. Along the way they encounter a variety of colourful local people and animals. This is a fun and engaging way to share the original story of Christmas with the young generation and remind them what Christmas is all about.
Great for kids 2-10
Watch a video on The Nativity Story App: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtBhge8DWFADownload The Nativity Story fact sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7p2cmw6uh1yyq9o/nativity_story_app_info_english.pdf
- It's like a vintage pop-up book, with classic woodcut-style illustrations
- By tapping and swiping, kids can help Joseph and Mary find a place to stay.
- Knock on doors... Pull on the rope... Ring the bell... Open windows... Make people talk...
- Create music! Help a band of angels play their instruments.
- Lots of characters to get to know: Innkeeper, Merchant, Shepherds, Chef, A Band of Actors, Neighbourhood Children, Mary's Donkey, Farm Animals and of course... Angels!
- Funny sound effects!
- Nostalgia. It feels like a classic pop-up book, bringing back memories for parents and grandparents.
- Optional Narration: Listen to the old-timey narrator tell the story, or read the story yourself.
- EXTRA Feature: After the story, explore the original Bible text that tells the Nativity Story.
- Amazing Visual Quality: Support for retina display
- Production Values - It is a work of art: a rich visual and sound experience.
- Interactive - We use the touch technology and animation to engage the reader in the story in an enchanting and educational way.
- Age approach - The classic Bible story is retold here with an original and creative approach that appeals to young kids as well as adults.
- Original - The app is designed like a vintage popup book and includes unique features such as interacting with a band of angels and playing instruments like trumpet and harp.For the iPad ($3.99) The Nativity Story - Popup DELUXE Edition https://itunes.apple.com/app/id579941573