Monday, March 17, 2014

He Meets Us in Our Weakness

Photo copyright Moyan_Brenn 
Something I read in my study Bible today really struck me. I was reading about Jesus' appearance to his disciples after his resurrection and about how Thomas insisted on proof that Jesus was actually resurrected. In the commentary* it said, "Jesus lovingly met Thomas at the point of his weakness." I have heard Thomas berated over and over for his lack of faith. He is known as "Doubting Thomas". Preachers like to pick on him. 

But Jesus didn't berate him. He chided Thomas gently for his lack of faith, but He was gracious...understanding...and He met Thomas at the point of his weakness. He helped him in his unbelief, He didn't cast him aside.  Jesus was never harsh to those who had doubts. 

I don't know about you, but I definitely relate to Thomas, and it's comforting to me to know that Jesus, though He is displeased with my doubts, does not give up on me because of them. This is true in other areas as well: He meets us at the point of our weaknesses, whatever they are.


What is an area of weakness for you? Jesus wants to meet you there!

For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.  
Hebrews 4:15-16, ESV 






*Quote from the MacArthur Study Bible, ESV, commentary notes for John 20:24-26


6 comments:

  1. I do love this fact!! Of course, Thomas was not with the other disciples the first time Jesus appeared to them, and I'm sure that helped Jesus to be more sympathetic with his "unbelief." I also love the fact that Jesus said that those who have not seen Him, yet still believe, will be blessed. That includes you and me, and THAT gives me great joy!!! Thank you for sharing this with us today, Jessica! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading, and for your comment, Glenda!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautifully comforting thought!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it, Shawna? God knew we both needed that reminder.

      Delete
  3. We nominated you for the Liebster Award, here is the link to the Award. Blessings ~ The Rosevine Cottage Girls

    http://rosevinecottagegirls.blogspot.com/2014/03/ive-been-nominated-for-

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!